Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for enthusiasts and power users of the Android operating system. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently bought an HD2, which originally runs Win6.5. But currently has a very modern version of Android installed.

Is it necessary to re-install the original OS in order to unlock the phone?

share|improve this question

90% chance - no, 10% chance - yes.

The Android operating system is designed specifically for each device, which is why different phones get platform updates at different times. You're at an advantage starting with an HTC phone, as they build several Android phones.

Your best bet is to find an unlock process for an HTC phone as physically similar to yours as possible (physical in terms of hardware; processor, memory, etc.). If this does not work, chances that you will get anything to work is slim.

share|improve this answer
In this case, it would be the HTC Desire Z. It's almost identical to the HD2. – Matthew Read Jun 21 '11 at 16:48
to clarify, are you looking to unlock (as in enable the phone to be used regardless of carrier) or root (as in enable root access to change system files)? – jlehenbauer Jun 21 '11 at 17:15
if you have t-mobile as a carrier, and you have been a loyal customer for a couple months (i think 3 is the minimum but I could be wrong), and you pay on time. You can call up and ask them for the unlock code. if they ask why, you are going out of the county and purchased a prepaid sim for use in the other country. – Ryan Conrad Jun 21 '11 at 18:15

In order for the HTC HD2 to run Android, the device needs to have a custom bootloader running Hardspl and radio version, which means your device IS ALREADY unlocked.

As for the device been rooted, 99% of the Android versions on the HD2 are rooted.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.