I was able to solve this, but it's not pretty. Following the advice in this thread, I applied a hack to the radio that gets Wireless Tether working.
Edit: I can confirm this exact procedure will also work on a Droid X.
- Download and install RadioComm. It worked fine on Windows 7 x64.
- Open Radiocom. This was the first time I opened the app, and a splash screen asked for me to "select which MA to use." I couldn't find the MA mentioned in the thread in this list, so I just selected 3G All Others (or something like that).
- Open the Main menu, select MA, Common, MDM 6x00 Chipset Base.
- Open the Settings menu, select USB, PST USB Driver.
- Connect phone to computer via USB. Change the phone's USB connection mode to PC Mode.
- The Radio Detection icon on the right side of RadioComm will turn green.
- Scroll to the P2K 4 tab.
- In the STELEM / RDELEM section, tick the Dec Entries radio box.
In the text boxes, enter:
Element ID: 8040
Record #: 1
RDELEM. It will turn green and the following data should appear:
Element ID to
STELEM. It will turn green.
Element ID to
- Change the phone's USB connection mode to Charge Only.
- Reboot the phone.
- Install Wifi Tether 3.1-beta6.
- In Wifi Tether's settings, change the Device Profile to Motorola DroidX (CDMA). (Droid2 does not work.) This is a good time to set your SSID and encryption as well.
- Done. You can now tether.
In case you need to revert the changes we just made, here's the original values: (these are the same on a D2G and Droid X)