First-time smartphone owner. I unboxed my new Nexus S and added my gmail account to it. So far, so good -- it sync'd my contacts perfectly.
But I'd never used Google Calendar (and in retrospect I think that's crucial).
So I signed on via my computer, went to Calendar, and set up a calendar with two events (one repeating, one not).
Then I went back to my phone and I find that in the calendar app I have no calendars. There are no events showing and I can't add events ("You have no calendars."). Moreover, in the Accounts & sync settings, under my gmail account, there is no Calendar item, just Books, Contacts, gmail.
I've waved every dead chicken I've heard of at this one, to no avail. The list of sync items won't grow a "Sync Calendar" item. To wit:
1) Obvious first choice, I thought. Power off the phone, power back on. Nope.
2) Read the FAQ Google Support FAQ
2a) Turned the auto sync off and on. Nope
2b) No notifications.
2c) Don't have a 2-step authentication.
2d) Cleared Calendar Storage data, power off, power back on. Nope.
3) Power off the phone, change my gmail password via web, power back on, re-authenticate. Nope.
4) Go to Accounts & sync, create a new google account, create a calendar in it, power down the phone, power back on. The new account has a Sync Calendar item that works, but not my real gmail account.
5) Go to Applications, all, and delete the data for "all the Google apps", power down the phone, power on. Nope. A caveat on this one, I don't know exactly what "all" means, so I hit Calendar & its storage again, Books, Contacts, gmail, everything whose name began with Google,...
see: Related Question
Ok, different device, but otherwise the description seemed a close match. Nope.
Any other suggestions?