Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for enthusiasts and power users of the Android operating system. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to update ClockworkMod recovery on HTC Desire.

Fastboot recognizes the device:

$fastboot devices
HT03PPL04520    fastboot

But flash recovery fails:

$fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (3054 KB)...
FAILED (status malformed (1 bytes))
finished. total time: 0.002s

P.S. The reason why I want to update the recovery is that when I try to install zip from sd card I get something like this: "error can't open /sdcard/ (bad)"

share|improve this question
Have you verified the checksum of the recovery.img file (one is typically provided)? The error seems to indicate that it's corrupt, or not actually a recovery image. – eldarerathis Dec 17 '11 at 16:56
Checksum was not povided but I tried to download it twice. – fhucho Dec 17 '11 at 19:03
Well, if flashing your device fails and you also can't run things from the SD card that you have no reason believing should be corrupt, maybe you have some kind of hardware malfunction in your phone. Can you try another USB cable/port? – pzkpfw Dec 20 '12 at 13:45

Download a clockworkmod recovery from offsite and firstly try to use fastboot boot. If it works correctly, flash recovery.

share|improve this answer

Try fastboot flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --no-reboot

share|improve this answer

As Penguinolog said, try to "fastboot boot" into the recovery using "fastboot boot recovery.img".

If you can,the recovery is not to blame. Rather, the recovery partition may have accumulated some bad blocks which might have to be cleared beforehand flashing the recovery.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.