This is an old question, but here are the steps to root this device. I am posting it so the Rooting Index is up to date and has an answer for this device. YMMV
These steps should work for XT311/XT316/XT317, XT530/XT531, XT532, and XT611
Steps are from this thread on XDA:
Looks like this does require Windows
Required Tools / Files
- SuperOneClick 22.214.171.124
- SUT LR 1.8.2 (Doesn't seem to be working on 64-bit systems)
- FXX_PR3_NV.xml and NvDefinition.xml Available On The XDA Thread
Prepare your phone by doing the following:
- Go to Settings > Applications > CHECK "Unknown Sources"
- Go to Settings > Applications > Developer > CHECK "USB Debugging" and "Stay Awake"
- Connect your phone via USB, when prompted DO NOT select USB Mass Storage.
- Extract FXX_PR3_NV.xml and NvDefinition.xml from the attached zip file in to a folder
- Now, install SUT LR
- Run the app
- Select the FXX_PR3_NV.xml [ensure NvDefinition.xml is also in the same folder as FXX_PR3_NV.xml]
- Your phone will restart.
Here is another solution that looks like it may not require a Windows PC
- Extract the file Available On The XDA Thread
- Mount /system as RW.
- Open Root Browser and copy bootmenu folder from sdcard/XT530 and paste it in /system.
Open Pimp My Rom and Add universal init.d support.
Create 97bootmenu manually. (For this using ES file explorer is recommended)
Change permissions of 97bootmenu to
rwx r-- r--
Reboot your phone.
Now your phone will start at bootmenu.
- Select Recovery>Custom Recovery
To boot the device normally again, open a console/terminal window, while the device is connected via usb.
rm -R /system/etc/init.d/97bootmenu