This is one of the some thousand limited edition Google IO handout Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 devices. Was known working for quite some time, and susceptible to the "sleep of death" that left it not powering on until you long press the power button while touching the screen.
Device has never been rooted, used only lightly, never dropped, everything points to a simple software/firmware problem (doesn't even have the screen glue problem like others in its batch). Charging cable works (and has worked in the past), device "should" be charged (left plugged in overnight), though they designed it without any hardware indicators of charge status.
Things I've tried that numerous forums like XDA and android Forums recommended (but do nothing):
- Hold power button for 30 seconds
- Hold power button for 30 seconds and touch/wiggle finger on screen (used to help, no longer does anything)
- Hold power and up/down volume alternatively (or any combination thereof)
At this point, this is theoretically just an expensive paperweight, therefore I am quite willing to do damage to it to get it working again, or simply use it as parts. This must be a "simple" firmware problem, so I feel that I shouldn't have to take a spadger to it and wrench out the battery or solder in a debug cable just to get it to do something.
EDIT: To note, on neither Windows or Linux does any device show up or get mounted when the device is plugged in during any of the procedures mentioned above. Nvflash sees nothing.
EDIT 2: To those reading unfamiliar with the Galaxy Tab 10.1, it seems to be a mostly poorly designed device with only three physical buttons (Power, Volume Up/Down), and possibly zero indicator lights. This makes the number of options left for the consumer to debug it next to nil. I'll wait a week, and unless anyone has a better idea, I'm literally cracking the sucker open and physically removing the battery.
EDIT 3: Okay Android peeps, I couldn't wait any longer and went ahead and cracked the sucker open. They were right, the back plastic is very delicate (and snapped in two places, purely cosmetic though). It's fairly tidy inside, and the battery and guts are easily exposed. My attempt to read the voltage of the battery revealed it to be.. basically dead. No real voltage at all. My best guess at this point is that somehow the charging circuitry requires some kind of minimum current available in the battery before it will attempt to charge it (or perhaps enough to boot and allow the software to handle it). Seems pretty stupid to me. If I can get my hands on a replacement battery, or a something to charge the existing battery directly, OR a wall wart to provide the 3.7 volts directly, I will try that.
Other than that, looks like I'm totally SOL and I'd have better luck posting into the Hack-a-day QA forums than a respectable software specific support forums like Android Enthusiasts. Thanks again guys! Maybe I'll be back again later for assistance getting Ubuntu installed on my Droid 1.
FINAL EDIT!: After a quick jaunt over to Hackaday, I got some confirmation that the actual read voltage across my battery terminals was BELOW the minimum for Li-Ion, so they battery was basically dead. Another quick run to ebay found me a "new" one for ~$35. 5 days later and I shoehorned the new battery in and tada! It works! .. sort of.
Due to the undue stress of being discharged (or perhaps being so lonely), the boot process was broken and it was stuck in an endless boot loop. AFter about 4 hours messing with it trying this method to do fastboot and user wipe, but finding out that windows failed to recognize the it as anything but "Unkown Device", after another 2 hours of hacking around i come to find out it's my horrible cheap chinese knockoff cable that's the culprit!!
Found the original cable, plugged it in, fastboot works, try to wipe with fastboot -w, just hangs. Fooey. Next I follow this unbrick method using the odin download to flash a "Stock" rom. This works! Yay!!! Unfortunately it's back to android 3.2... but I can't complain, as I am now the proud owner of a $35 (+ 10 hours of work) android tablet.
What an adventure. Hopefully this log will help someone else along the way in their own tablet adventure.