Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for enthusiasts and power users of the Android operating system. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Assuming that I am not able to start up my phone due to a file that is missing on the file system. Would it be possible to get to my phone's root directory on my computer and to place the missing file?

Maybe by using fastboot?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted


If you have a custom recovery that supports adb / root, you can boot into it and use adb to remount /system as read-write and push the missing file over. But otherwise you don't have access to most of the phone.

share|improve this answer
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!! I have managed to get the cmd-based recovery running. Now I can finnaly use adb to get the file which is missing to its place. The only problem is I am not sure there I could get the file i need. – Martin Schiller Apr 7 '12 at 20:32
@NitramRelisch I'd recommend looking over at XDA -- their Wildfire S subforum is a good place to start, specifically here. – Matthew Read Apr 8 '12 at 1:13
okay, I'll try that, thx for ALL ur help! – Martin Schiller Apr 8 '12 at 11:48

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.