I know how to create a Goldcard, but I'm curious as to what it actually is and how it works. I've done some Googling but can't find any information about the details.
To create a Goldcard one needs the CID, which from what I can gather is an SD identifier for the card. The CID is then reversed and entered into a site which generates a Goldcard image. The image is copied to bytes 0x000 to 0x170 of the device.
- Does the CID change when the card is formatted?
- If I plug an SD card into my computer, will I get the same CID as when it's in the phone?
- Is the Goldcard image a boot sector?
- How does it fit in with the FAT32 filesystem on the card?
- How is the Goldcard image generated?
- Could I generate one myself, or modify an existing image for a different CID?
- What does the Goldcard do when the phone boots? Does the phone boot off the card?
- How does this bypass the restrictions to allow other firmware to be flashed?