Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for enthusiasts and power users of the Android operating system. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Why is it that I am able to play only a few .mp4 files in my New Samsung Galaxy Y Mobile but not he rest. What should I do to make even the other .mp4 files to play?

What should I do to make .mkv, .avi and other video formats to play?

share|improve this question
This seems like two very distinct questions - please consider separating them. You also may want to look at this previous question: Play High-Resolution mp4 Videos on Galaxy Y – eldarerathis Jul 8 '12 at 16:20

Try MX Player from Google Play. It can play almost all the video formats in my Samsung Galaxy Y Duos. Review

share|improve this answer
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Deriving from the link given in Comments:

Answer by Richard

You are not able to play the high resolution videos in your mobile. Your device should be able to handle videos up to 640*360, this is the resolution of HQ YouTube.

Note that there's absolutely no point in watching HD videos on your phone. It has a screen resolution of 240 x 320. Anything above this will be scaled down to fit the screen.

Comment by ce4

In General, HD videos need to be decoded by a specialized companion chip (h264 decoder) because the CPU is not powerful enough. For price reasons, only a subset of h264's Features may be supported leaving you without HD support

share|improve this answer
From the footer: "user contributions licensed under cc-wiki with attribution required" – Richard Borcsik Aug 1 '12 at 18:24

Just install MX Player on your Android phone. Then, you can play any video format on your Samsung Galaxy Y Duos.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.