Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for enthusiasts and power users of the Android operating system. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to make my phone act as a bluetooth speaker/headset because the audio jacks connection on my laptop is kinda broken (won't play audio on both ears unless the headset plug is midway inserted). Add to that the fact that the audio coming out of my laptop's speakers aren't too loud. My phone, however, fills in that gap by having quite good and loud audio and the headset jack on my phone isn't messed up like the one my laptop.

So upon thinking of ways to do this, I realized that I could add a bluetooth profile to my phone so that the laptop will be able to detect it as a bluetooth headset. However, I couldn't find any info about doing this.

I'm using an SE ST17i and I'm rooted so rooted solutions are applicable. I hope someone can help me out.

P.S. I know of the AirFoil approach but would rather prefer my above approach if possible because I don't like keeping my wifi on all the time.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

See my answer to a similar question - the problem is that within the Bluetooth AD2P profile (for stereo quality audio) Android phones aren't designed to be a "sink" (a receiver of media) only a source. You're right in that this is a limitation of the Bluetooth stack on your phone, but so far the info I've found says that trying to alter the stack comes with moderate amounts of pain and compromise. Perhaps you're more adventurous than I?

share|improve this answer
Thank you for the prompt answer. Based on what you've linked, it seems my only ray of hope is from using a CM-based rom. – Propeller Jul 20 '12 at 6:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.