I nearly did everything offered in all google searches. nothing works successfully for google play to work in HCL ME U1.
Installing Android SDK and running ADB shell etc. also sometime does not allow file to be copied to system/app file and it's very tedious thing if you are not familiar with java and linux commands.
There seems to be some restriction by HCL in startup for disabling google play.
following is the option which worked for me and very easy and using which so fart I have installed about 100 applications form google play and using my HCL ME U1 without any problem
1) Install JDK in PC. You may also require HCL ME connect for drivers of HCL U1.
2) Install Android commander (PC program. download and install from net)
3) using android commander Copy android apk file in system/app folder. also copy the same apk to SD card folder.
4)Now when you restart tab it read as 'android upgrading' , but soon yo will get message "Unfortunately google play stopped working".then try open google play it will show an error "unfortunately google stopped working" again
6) Now go to you SD card where you have google play apk
7) Double tap on that and install google play. will give message that you are replacing main application etc. say ok.
8) Now google play will work/download/install any application from marketplace. now google play will work like anything.
9)the moment you shutdown or reboot tab you will start getting "Unfortunately google play stopped working" message again
10) So whenever you want to use google play double tap and install google play from sd card. for that time being it will work until you reboot or shutdown and start.
so use that way it hardly takes 5-6 seconds to install google play apk from sdcard whenever you start tab.
PLEASE NOTE it is very important that to have android.apk in root of system/app folder. without that it will not work.
--- What I feel is that HCL has made some restriction by disabling something in startup. Anyway it takes only 5 seconds to install google play apk from sdcard. and for that time it works just pefect. i tried all other way but this is the only way it works.