Lately I've been having trouble keeping a connection to Wi-Fi, first at home and now at work. What happens is that after a while I'll notice that my phone is using 3G.
If I go into my Wi-Fi settings, I'll see a strong signal from my router. When I try to connect manually, I often get the message, "Failed to connect to network" with no further details. (There's a special place in hell for those who write error messages that give no indication of the nature of the problem.) Other times I can connect, but the signal is reported as weak and drops quickly.
My computers can connect with no problems and report strong wireless signals. My roommates have no similar problems.
I have a Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean. My roommates have a Galaxy Note and a Galaxy S2, respectively, both on ICS.
What's wrong with my phone?
- My phone is rooted but running the stock ROM.
- My phone is the international GSM version.
- I first noticed this problem while using Tasker to implement a Bluetooth wireless leash. I've stopped using the leash--and Bluetooth entirely--but the problem persists. I'm still using Tasker for other things.
- In trying to track down this issue, I disabled "Avoid poor connections" but that change had no effect.
- I'm willing to consider flashing stuff to my phone as a last resort, but I strongly prefer alternative solutions. I didn't have problems initially, so I doubt the radio is to blame. Furthermore, I will down vote any answer that provides an incompatible ROM/radio, etc. or that provides it from a non-reputable source.