As a chorus and opera singer, I frequently download public-domain scores in PDF form. I would like to read them on an Android tablet during rehearsals. I don't have an Android tablet myself yet, but from my experience with an Android phone (small screen) and iPad tablet, I expect the following flaws:
- Some PDF files containing high-resolution scans of the score take a long time to display. The degree of lag is a function of how the PDF file was made. In some scores it seems like the page starts off blurry and comes into focus. (Observed on iPad)
- It's difficult to jump to arbitrary points in the score (e.g. director says, "let's skip to page 166", those with books turn easily, I fumble fumble on the device) (Observed on phone and iPad)
- It's hard to add bookmarks to PDF files to correspond to rehearsal numbers, to speed up jumping to points in the score. (Observed on phone and iPad)
- There's no way I know of to make annotations on the score during a rehearsal, even an "x" to say "review this later". (Observed on phone and iPad)
- Other wishes for Android PDF readers, gleaned from about a dozen questions here on Android.SE tagged with pdf
So I'm looking for a good way to read PDF musical scores on Android tablet in rehearsal and performance. I'm looking for characteristics like:
- Should read ahead in the PDF file, digesting the next couple of pages of the score, so that when I turn to the next page, the page appears instantly -- for all PDF files, even those with high-resolution scanned images.
- Easy ways to jump to page numbers and rehearsal numbers quickly, while rehearsing.
- Ways to add bookmarks to scores for rehearsal numbers
- Some way of annotating the score.
- Displays each musical staff at least 7mm high
- Displays the score at least 15cm x 10cm, preferably 20cm x 25cm, and a huge 50cm x 33cm would be even better.
- I can think of many features which would make the experience even better.
Can any of you recommend a way to use an Android device as a good PDF musical score reader?
Background: I'm dithering about whether to buy an iPad or Android tablet, and music score reading is an important use case for me. Knowing there's a good way to get the job done will influence my choice.
I have found only one other question in Android.SE, Auto scrolling PDF reader?. They ask only about the auto-scrolling feature, which is one I actually don't find so important.
There is a Music.SE site, but they consider questions like this one out of scope.
Update: rephrased into a "How can I do X?" question per Android.SE meta discussion.