Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for enthusiasts and power users of the Android operating system. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm googling for a problem with the black bar on the bottom of my ASUS Transformers screen. the one with the navagation icons, notifications, and battery info. I'm not sure what the official name for that UI element is.

ps: i solved my origional problem. this bar thickens to addjust the aspect ratio when using HDMI output though I still dont know it's name.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

To answer your question on what the 'black bar' is at the bottom of the screen - it appears to be called the System Bar. I thought it was the Notification Bar but apparently that is part of the System Bar.

Here are several links that I found in my search:

Android 3.0 Highlights from Android Developer site

StackOverflow Question where someone called it a 'System Bar'

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.