Any software application (or hardware device) used to read electronic books (eBooks). Please use a more specific tag if applicable, such as e.g. 'aldiko', 'moon-reader', etc. See the full tag wiki for a list of related tags.
What are "ebook reader"?
While one could think of "people reading ebooks", that's not what we mean here. When talking about ebook reader on Android Enthusiasts, we speak either of apps or devices to read ebooks with. As for devices, of course we restrict us to those running Android, as e.g. Amazon's Kindle or Barnes & Noble's Nook tablet devices do.
Where should I use this tag?
Only if your issue is about ebook reader, obviously -- and only if there's no tag better matching your issue (see the "related tags" section below).
Are there any related tags?
Other reader apps
- aldiko is a famous ebook reading app and often comes pre-installed especially with tablet devices
- moon-reader a feature-rich ebook reader app supporting many formats
- google-play-books is another ebook reader app
- adobe-reader is specific to ebooks using the PDF format
- kindle-for-android is Amazon's Kindle reader app for Android. It only supports Amazon's own book format, plus the
- nook-for-android is similarly the Nook-specific app
- amazon-kindle: Amazon's ebook reader. Note that there's also the amazon-kindle-fire and amazon-kindle-fire-hd, which are not dedicated ebook reader, but full-fledged Android devices.
- nook-color: one of the reading devices from Barnes & Noble. They also have the nook-hd and noke-simple-touch.
- drm: "Digital Rights Management" or, from the user's point of view, "Digital Restrictions Management" is what disables users reading their books freely on the device of their choice
- ebooks: food for the readers :)
- epub: an ebook format widely used, and often the prefered format for free content (though it supports drm, that doesn't mean the book creator has to use that)
- pdf: Adobe's "Portable Document Format" is one of the most used formats for ebooks. While files are usually much bigger as with other formats, content should be displayed looking exactly the same regardless of the device or app used.