Android 4.0 introduces a completely new approach to securing a device, making each person's device even more personal — Face Unlock is a new screen-lock option that lets you unlock your device with your face. It takes advantage of the device front-facing camera and state-of-the-art facial recognition technology to register a face during setup and then to recognize it again when unlocking the device. Just hold your device in front of your face to unlock, or use a backup PIN or pattern.
How to activate
- Tap the Settings icon to get to the Settings app
- Scroll down to Personal and then tap on Security
- Tap on Screen Lock and choose:
- Face Unlock – to set the Face Unlock feature
- Move a little away from the front facing camera so your face fits in the Show Your Face screen.
- Center your face in the outlined area marked “put your face here.”
- You will receive a Face Captured screen if the Face Unlock setup was successful.
Once the Face Unlock is set to your face, you will be prompted to now set up a backup lock. In case the phone does not recognize you (this can happen for a bunch of reasons) it will revert to another method for secure unlocking of the phone.
Note: Face Unlock is less secure than a Pattern, PIN or Password.