HTC Desire received several OTA updates to Android 2.2 during 2010. An update to Android 2.3 Gingerbread has been available on developer.htc.com as a RUU since the August 2011.
Internally HTC Desire bears a strong resemblance to the Nexus One, but differs in some features.
- A different body shell
- An optical trackpad in place of the trackball
- Hardware function buttons instead of touch-sensitive buttons
- FM radio activated (FM radio in Nexus One is disabled by default but can be activated through hacked firmware)
- No second microphone for enhanced noise cancellation
- No dock pin connectors, instead micro-USB is used
- 576 MB DRAM instead of 512 MB DRAM
- Dual band HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100, 850/2100 or 850/1900 MHz depending on vendor instead of 850/1900/2100 tri band
- HTC Sense interface (not present in the Nexus One)