For questions regarding installing apps, Android firmware or certificates
This tag is for questions about installing/removing Android apps in general, the installation/update process for regular vendor firmware or aftermarket firmware like CyanogenMod or other processes like installing certificates.
Common install methods include...
- use the google-play-store app
- use an alternative market app (see: alternative-markets)
adb install *.apk
- sending the
*.apkto your GMail account, and open it from the attachment (this can even be done using voice commands, e.g. when you deleted your only launcher)
- placing the
*.apkon your SDCard, and open it with a file browser or app installer directly on the device
- sending it to your Dropbox (or other cloud service), sync it to your device, and again use a file browser or app installer
- if the
*.apkis placed on a web resource, simply open it with the Android web browser
For most of these methods, you find some details in the answers to How can I install an app given only its APK file?
Instructions to install APK without file browser or Wifi on device:
In order to install an
.apk without a file browser or WiFi on your device, you can use the Android Debug Bridge (ADB). See Is there a minimal installation of ADB? for instructions on installing ADB.
From the command line run
adb install full-file-name.apk to install the application that is located in the same folder as the ADB.
Other installation options for alternative situations can be found here.
- alternative-markets: places other than Google Play where to obtain apps
- google-play-store: first place to look for apps :)
- unknown-sources: setting which needs to be enabled to install apps other than via Google Play
Sources & Ressources
- Is there a minimal installation of ADB?
- How can I install an app given only its APK file?
- Is it possible to install an app and exclude some of its requested permissions?
- Is it possible to install Android on a PC?
- Google play fails to install application with RPC:S-5:AEC-0
- Can I install Android on my non-Android device?
Also don't forget to check this tag's most frequented questions.