The access that apps advertise that they need to function. Example: Full internet access, send SMS messages, etc. Please use this tag for app-permissions only. For file permissions, use 'file-permissions' instead.
What are permissions?
In the context of Android, "permissions" refers to the access that apps advertise that they need in order to function.
When you install an app, you are presented with a list of items which the developer has indicated are needed for the app. Permissions may include "Full internet access", "things that cost you money", "read phone state", and so on.
REMARK: If you have questions about what a given permission stands for, please consult our Permission Index. Check for the permission in question. If the explanation there is not detailed enough, see whether it has a special question linked; if so, follow up to it. If not, Ask Your Question and link it to this permission's comments in the index.
What is not covered by this tag?
- file-permissions: permissions of files and directories in the file-system, such as being read/write/executable
- What do the permissions that applications require mean?
(also see: App permissions explained, serving you details in English and German)
- Why do so many applications require permission to read the phone state and identity? (complete analysis in this answer)
(also see: Why do some apps request too many permissions?)
- Permissions in the Manifest
- Is there a list that explains the risks involved with each granted application permission type?
- Is there a way to know the actual permissions of an app now before installing?
- Account permissions:
- Android's Permission Problems (including "how it works" and "what to look for")
- Android permissions explained, security tips, and avoiding malware
- A Study of Android Permissions and How Applications Use Them (PDF from 2011)
- On the Manifest page of Android developers as well as on Android permissions explained, some permissions are marked as "not for use by third party apps". So: What's really 'third party applications'?