I just got a Moto E and am attempting to use Hangouts as both my chat client and my SMS client. This works well except for the fact that it is unreliable about receiving push notifications. The notifications for Twitter, Zoho, Slack generally work fine.
I am running Android 5.0.2. I have not rooted the phone though it is unlocked.
I made sure I had every possible setting I could find turned on.
- In Settings -> Sound & Notification -> App notifications -> Hangouts I have its notifications set to priority.
- I have Messages turned on as an allowed interruption in Settings -> Sound & Notification -> Interruptions.
- In Settings -> Apps -> Hangouts I have "Show Notifications" checked.
- In Hangouts -> Settings -> SMS I have SMS enabled. I also have Auto retrive MMS checked, though not Roaming auto-retrieve because that seemed unnecessary.
- In my account settings in Hangouts, I have hangout notifications turned on.
- In Settings -> Account -> Google Account -> Sync I have everything checked except "Google Play Movies & TV" though I do not see one specifically for Hangouts (could that be a problem?). Also, when I do a "Sync Now", that does not seem to sync Hangouts.
Most recently, I installed Push Notification Fixer (PNF No-Root) and set the WiFi heartbeat to 1 minute. After a reboot I did receive one notification but I am not yet confident that it is working consistently.
My WiFi during work hours is coming through Connectify on my laptop. Sometimes my phone randomly disconnects by I reconnect it as soon as I see it.
I have seen people trying everything under the sun for this but before I just start randomly trying something I would like to have some reasonable confidence that it may be effective. Anyone know what might be causing this?