While setting up a Google account on a Cyanogenmod 12 mobile phone, the app specific password that I generated is not accepted, but my real password is accepted. Since I have enabled two factor authentication, entering my real password would be bad because -
- This is phone will have the same number to which Google sends 2FA codes. Storing the password on the same device as the one getting 2FA codes defeats the point of 2FA.
Is it possible to set up a Google account with app specific passwords only?
Cyanogen OS version 12.0-YNG1TBS103 Android version 5.0.2
Steps to repro
- Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Add account -> Google account
- Enter email
- Go to https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords using another device
- Generate an app password with other(custom name) option.
- Type the generated passcode on phone.
- The passcode is rejected as invalid
- Typing my actual account password succeeds - It sends the 2FA code to the set phone number(currently, this phone has no SIM)