I used to be an email-on-the-phone junkie. Then, I read 4 Hour Work Week, which convinced me to un-sync my email (gmail) from my phone (Samsung S3). I started checking my email once per day on my laptop... then once per week. My productivity skyrocketed, and my stress levels went down. Some weeks, I spend less than 1 hour per week reading and returning email.
After 6 months of not having email on my phone, things are pretty good. But, there are 3 contacts (my wife; my PhD advisor; and a key customer) whose email is actually worth reading in real-time. I'd like to sync email from ONLY these 3 people with my phone.
Here's what I've tried so far:
- Configure Android phone gmail to use email@example.com
- In firstname.lastname@example.org, create a label called "Send to phone"
- In email@example.com, create a rule to tag wife@gmail and advisor@gmail as "Send to phone."
- In firstname.lastname@example.org, create a rule to forward all "Send to phone"-labeled messages to email@example.com
- In the Android gmail app, under
Settings > firstname.lastname@example.org > Manage labels, I was able to unsync all labels (including Primary, Social, Forums...) except for "Send to phone."
But, it didn't work: emails to my Primary inbox (from people other than wife/advisor/customer) are still syncing to my phone. WTF?!
- Create a new account called email@example.com.
- In firstname.lastname@example.org, set up a rule that forwards email from email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com
- Use firstname.lastname@example.org on my Android phone
But, it didn't work: I like having the email@example.com calendar on my phone. I haven't found a clean way to use the me@gmail calendar but me.phone@gmail email account.
Has anyone done this before?
What else should I try?