How can I get my M8 to boot up again? It freezes at the white screen where it says htc.
- To run the software update on my rooted M8 I had to put stock recovery back on it. I did that following the instructions of this video.
- After successfully putting stock recovery back on I booted and proceeded to download the update and install it.
- The restart after the update was the first time it froze up on me. I saw the green bar proceeding and after that it tried to boot. Oddly enough it froze on the "second bootscreen" where it still stays htc, but smaller and there's that big black ONE (note, that the phone was still connected with my computer, if that plays any role).
- I first had to find a way to shut down my phone, since you can't just remove the battery. I've found out, you can do so by pressing and holding Power and Volume Up.
What I've tried:
Today, I've found this article, which pretty much includes everything I tried, just explained for dummies. This includes:
- Putting Custom Recovery (TWRP) back on
- Clear data cache in TWRP
- Wipe / factory reset in TWRP
- Putting stock recovery back on
- Fastboot from bootloader
- Clear cache in stock recovery
- Factory reset in stock recovery
- Shut off in stock recovery and power on afterwards
Nothing of the above has fixed my issue. It still freezes while booting.
I obviously have lost hope in keeping my apps and data (most data is safe on SD card). All I'm trying to do is to get a working phone again.
I'm not very familiar with TWRP nor unlocking itself (just did it to have certain apps, like TitaniumBackup) so is there something in TWRP I can try?
My phone is not a branded (AT&T, Sprint, whatever) one. Please also note, that it's not a bootloop. My phone doesn't shut itself off.
This is what the bootscreen looks like, at the moment:
*** Software status: Modified *** *** UNLOCKED *** M8_UL PVT SHIP S-ON HBOOT-3.19.0.0000
I can complete this list, if you want me to
The only difference to the bootscreen in the video I linked above, is that mine has the addiditonal line
*** Software status: Modified *** and is
Please also note that I got the stock recovery on it right now, so start your instruction form there.
Thanks a lot! I'm running out of ideas.