I'm in the UK.
- Samsung Galaxy A3 (SM-A300FU)
- Android 5.0.2
- three.co.uk branded Android & SIM
The symptoms have been detected for these contact situations:
- Swiss phone (unknown make/model) in Switzerland
- Swiss Android phone in Australia
- Norwegian iPhone in the UK
In all these cases the contacts have told me via other channels that they have tried to send me SMSes, and these have not come through. It looks like this has been going on since at least early August. I have been able to receive automated SMSes from a company in Norway in the meantime, and I've not detected problems with UK numbers, so not all numbers are broken.
Today I spoke with Three support, and I was told a very puzzling workaround which actually helped: Delete the contact before sending any more messages! This worked for one contact which tried many times before to send SMSes, but now I'm worried:
- Why would my phone stop receiving messages in the first place?
- Why on Earth would deleting the contact fix it?
- How can I detect if this happens again? I can't keep sending ping messages to all my contacts on a regular basis.
- Is there a more reliable messaging application than the built-in Android one?