Google Maps is not a good source for permanent offline maps, but it does have offline map capability
- Uses less memory
- will automatically download offline maps along your route in case you lose signal
- offline maps self delete if unused for a time
Here WeGo is a good Android application for offline maps.
- You can download offline maps for your state/region, country, continent, or entire world.
- if you phone has aGPS, this application will work with or without cell service as long as you have downloaded the maps for your location and you can see the sky.
- Maps stay on your phone until you delete them.
- Gives you directions via walking, biking, public transport, lyft, driving, or ride share.
- You can not add nicknames to saved locations
- Uses more of phone memory (Map of the entire USA is just over 8GB)
- Managing saved places can be tedious.
For my personal use I usually use Waze for my day to day navigation needs, however when I go on long trips I use Here maps to download maps for regions I expect to be in, in case I lose cell signal or data connection. I only use google maps when Waze is having trouble with my request.