For about a month and a half my Nexus 6P (running Android Marshmallow 6.0.1) has at random times shown a toast of "Check your connection and try again". This toast shows up no matter what app I am in, maybe two or three times a day, usually; so far today, however, my phone has given me this toast maybe 15 times.
When it shows up, I am usually actually connected to WiFi or Cellular (the issue has occurred on multiple wifi networks and multiple carriers), and loading a webpage immediately before/after it pops up invariably works. Here's what the toast looks like:
When it happens more The issue occurs more frequently (but not at all exclusively) when:
- I'm downloading/updating an app from the Play Store
- Uploading a photo from my device to Google Photos
- I've just restarted my phone
- I've just awakened my phone from sleep
- My phone turns on after having been turned off with the Google App in the foreground (i.e. when the Google App is on the screen when the phone turns on)
Not actually a duplicate This question may appear to have been asked before, but those questions are about when the toast shows up in the Play Store app; I have nonetheless followed answers' instructions from those questions (instructions like clearing Play Store cache), but to no avail.
These toasts are annoying and I'd like to determine the source. Could it be an app? The Play Store? Google Photos? Or a system prompt?
What I've tried so far
- Restarting phone
- Switching WiFi networks, switching to Cellular
- Clearing Play Store cache
- Toggling Hotspot/Tethering on/off
- Toggling Airplane Mode on/off
Phone Specs Nexus 6P, Android 6.0.1, not rooted, has Project Fi as carrier (used to be on AT&T, issue occurred then too)
Edit: One other solution to a similar question mentions the Freedom app, but I don't have that installed.