I'm chatting someone on my Droid, but when I check the chat history in Google Talk, that chat isn't there. This chat is confined to my phone, but I want to keep a record of it off my phone. Is it saved somewhere in the phone in a log file or something? Can I manually forward that chat to my desktop? I can't ctrl+a / ctrl+c the conversation to my e-mail account, so that's out. What else?

  • Did you perhaps go "off-the-record" with that person?
    – ale
    Commented Nov 17, 2011 at 14:22
  • For what it's worth, I just chatted someone on my Droid, and the chat is right there under "Chats" in my Gmail account on the web.
    – ale
    Commented Nov 17, 2011 at 14:32

2 Answers 2


Google chat/Talk sessions can be recorded and saved to your Gmail account using a Gmail setting. From Google's Chat Support pages:

Changing your chat history settings

You can adjust your chat history settings in Gmail at any time. Chat history for Google Talk is only available to users who are signed in with a Gmail username.

From Gmail:

  • Sign in to Gmail.
  • Click the gear icon at the top of any Gmail page, and open the Chat tab.
  • From the Chat tab:
    • Select 'Don't save chat history in my Gmail account' to disable chat history saving, or,
    • Select 'Save chat history in my Gmail account' to enable chat history saving.
  • Click Save Changes.

Keep in mind that if you've disabled chat history saving, people you chat with may still choose to save chat histories in their Gmail settings. If you would prefer that someone you're talking to doesn't save your chat, you can take the conversation off the record. If you're talking to someone who is connected to the network with a desktop chat client, it's possible that his or her software is keeping a separate copy of the chat history.


While inside the chat if I tap on menu I see an option to stop to save... (I don't now the exact text in English.
Maybe you selected that menu?
Or did so the person you are chatting with?

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .