I am a fan of integrating ridesharing (Uber and Lyft) fare results into the travel directions interface of Google Maps, so that I may quickly compare the two companies to each other and to other forms of transportation. However, I do not like having the entire Uber ride take place within Google maps. I find the interface inferior to Uber's app (lots of info/options are missing), and I would prefer that the Maps app is available for other searches while riding in the Uber (e.g., looking up the exact location of a restaurant).
Is there any way to force Maps to launch the Uber app from within these search results?
The alternative is to
- highlight the address
- select "copy",
- return to the desktop,
- launch the Uber app,
- clear out any Uber messages (e.g., rate your last driver),
- paste the address into the Uber search (which doesn't work if you used something like "home" in Maps),
- confirm that it's the same location on the maps you already found in Google (which might not be the case for overloaded place names),
- confirm your current location,
- and hit the "book"/"request" button.
Do-able, but inefficient.