Use Nova Launcher, then once installed, add a "widget" to your Nova Launcher home screen for the "Notification Log". Proof this is possible on Android 8 Oreo:
- Install Nova Launcher and run it
- Long press on your Nova Launcher home screen
- Press and hold to add an ACTIVITIES widget (should be near the top)
- From there choose a Settings widget
- Choose Notification Log
- Select your new Notification Log to access the Android Notification Log.
I don't know why Google hid the notification log widget and judging from the huge number of apps in the Play store that offer to record notifications for you, it really is a sought after feature. Thanks to Nova Launcher for making such a great app!
Originally seen in a comment from Javier P on this page. May the gods bless his life.