I have a lot of duplicated SMS on my Android 7.1.2 Phone, because of the app "SMS Backup & Restore". I would like to delete redundant SMSs. How can I do that? Before actually doing it, I would like to inspect the would-be result.
What I tried:
- In How to delete duplicate SMS?, it says that "SMS Backup & Restore" has an option to not import duplicates. I could not find that option.
- Also it said to check out "BackupSMS", but the app does not seem to offer the option to check out the results.
- After reading http://blog.radj.me/removing-duplicates-sms-backup-restore-xml-android, I looked at https://github.com/radj/AndroidSMSBackupRestoreCleaner and tried the expanded version https://github.com/hameerabbasi/AndroidSMSBackupRestoreCleaner. But after inspecting the results, I got the impression the script also deleted messages that were not duplicates. I am pretty glad I was able to inspect the results via Linux tools, showing me that my instinct to be able to check out the results was correct.
- Also coming from the blog, I found the app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.venomvendor.sms.deduplicate (Source at https://github.com/VenomVendor/DeduplicateSMS), but this also does not show what SMS are going to be deleted.
- In the thread https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/comments/3ecq7z/how_to_delete_duplicate_sms_after_restore/, it was suggested to use Google Hangouts. I do not have (or want to use) something like Google Hangouts.