I'm using the Google launcher on my Huawei P9. Recently it's been updated so there is a Google feed of some sort when I swipe right from the home screen. I've been through my settings and turned off as much as possible, but I still see weather and news. The weather doesn't bother me, but I consider it my right to choose if I'm being force fed politically biased news or violent stories. Does anyone know how to turn this off? I could go back to the Huawei launcher, but my plans are to move to a Google phone on the future anyway. Not being able to turn off news would obviously mean I couldn't choose a Google phone for my future phone.
The option wasn't there before, but it works now.
- Either swipe right from the home screen or press and hold in a blank area.
- Select 'Settings'
- In the 'Search' category, select 'Your feed'.
- Switch the 'Feed' slider to off.
I've since updated my phone and this no longer works for me, but it might work on some older versions of Android.
Android 9, Pixel 2
You can disable the Discover feature (the one that shows news items on the left-most screen of the launcher) by:
- Go to that screen
- Select three dots on that screen on the top right
- Choose "Settings"
- Under "Search", choose "Discover"
- Turn off "Discover: see stories related to your interests on the home tab of the app"
Note that this turns off all info on that page, eg weather.