Our sales team came to me earlier with a question about Android OS. I've never used Android, but I do know it is a Linux-based OS.
Frankly, I don't have the time to research for myself the capabilities of the Android OS. What I need to know is:
- Is it possible to restrict web access to a single domain (domain.com, .domain.com, domain.com/)?
- Is it possible to launch, on boot, the browser with a specific URL or perhaps if the home page is set, have it launch on boot to the home page?
- Is there a 'Full Screen' mode for the browser that could be the default for whenever the browser is launched?
- Can SMS/MMS/Email be disabled (if the tablet has those capabilities) but still maintain a 3/4G and/or Wifi connection?
- Can I use a custom boot screen?
Since it's a Linux-based OS I imagine I could restrict the web access with IPtables or hosts files, but that of course means the OS has to support that, and I'm not sure if it does.
We hope to use a tablet running Android to tie in to our internal systems. The tablets will be in the hands of operators, who we do not want to be able to use the data connection for anything but our web-based application. Hence the need for browser-launch-on-boot, full-screen mode, and restricting web access.