Having my Redmi Note 5 stuck at the LineageOS logo, I tried different ROMs like Resurrection Remix OS. They work well. After some reserach, I found a hint to some kind of encryption in the LineageOS release thread on xda-developers. So I re-flashed the stock MIUI ROM (without firmware cause of Xiaomi's devious anti roll-back mechanism) and LineageOS could be installed without problems.
I want to understand this topic:
- What are those keys?
- Why LineageOS needs them?
- Has this anything to do with device encryption?
- Is this a Xiaomi specific topic or does it apply to other manufactures as well?
Currently, I know very little about those encryption keys:
- It seems that they're generated by the stock MIUI on first boot
- They got deleted by formatting in TWRP, not on simply wiping
- We don't get any usefull error message, only a endless booting LineageOS animation
- Encryption can be bypassed using a zip from here. But without OTA updates and the zip for bypassing must be flashed on each LineageOS update
- Other ROMs like MoKee or Resurrection Remix OS don't care