LineageOS offers an official International Samsung Galaxy S6 build, which does NOT install on the T-Mobile USA S6, but there's an unofficial T-Mobile USA build that does, but after installing it just hangs on boot. (To install I used TWRP and adb sideloaded LineageOS, Stock Open gapps, SuperSU in that order) Has anyone had success running LineageOS on the T-Mobile version of the S6?
I have no idea if it's safe, or a good ROM, The github is here but it's lacking information, an issues page, or a website on it, and it only seems to be referenced in broken english blogs, and scam searches appear when searching
nexus-roms.eu on duckduckgo, and their site is down. So I would not recommend it.
It does seem to install & boot on the T-Mobile USA Samsung Galaxy S6
I just installed LineageOS on my SM-G920T using this build from XDA: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6/samsung-galaxy-s-6--s-6-edge-unified-development/rom-unofficial-lineageos-17-1-t4053959
I used the following resources:
- LineageOS multitarget: https://github.com/enesuzun2002/lineageos-ota/releases/download/lineage-17.1-20200413/LineageOS-10-zero-multitarget-2020-04-13_2047.zip
- Open Google Apps (Optional): https://opengapps.org (Select ARM64, Android 10 and choose the bundle you want, I used Stock)
- Magisk: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/v20.4/Magisk-v20.4.zip
In the end, the process was:
- Install TWRP (https://twrp.me/):
- To install it, Firstly root the current ROM using https://autoroot.chainfire.eu/ I attempted to use the new version at firmware.mobi but had no success (the file was written correctly with ODIN, but it didn't install SU)
- Then install the TWRP APK from the Playstore (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.twrp.twrpapp)
- Follow the instructions to download the file for your S6 and then flash it to the recovery partition
- Restart the phone in recovery mode (Vol Up + Home + Power)
- Move the 2 or 3 zip files (LineageOS, Magisk, and GoogleApps) to your phone's internal memory or a mounted SD card
- Wipe the Dalvik cache, system, data and cache partitions (do not wipe the internal storage or USB)
- Install Lineage OS, Google Apps, and Magisk
- Wipe the Dalvik cache again and reboot
The instructions from the XDA build do not mention installing Magisk but If I didn't install it both the 9.0 and 10.0 based builds failed to boot, I didn't install SuperSU but you shouldn't have trouble adding the zip to the install queue.