The topic of permissions appears to be a rabbit hole. I am an Android beginner, and I am trying to enter it and not die trying.
Apparently, the list of an App's permissions in the Play Store description is not a one-to-one mapping with the actual permissions an app is using. It's just a high level description in layman's terms. So is the description of a permission shown to the user when asking to grant a revocable permission. The actual permissions are in the manifest file.
So we have:
- A list of layman's-terms permissions.
- A list of OS permissions.
Notably, both are organized in groups. At least grouping #2 appears to be a "partition" (i.e., each permission belongs to exactly one group), is grouping #1 also such?
Question: Is that mapping documented anywhere?
Note: The layman's terms description may help at one point, but it may make things a little obscure at the same time...
- Permissions categories... Do they have any practical implication?
- List of all actions protected by given permission
- Better description of permissions
- Permissions for Photos/Media/Files vs. Storage
- Restricting app permissions
- Application Permissions