Turns out that my problem is with 5G. The phone reports a connection with 5G. However, the 5G connection will not work with Google Voice, nor any app other than Gmail.
I must set the preferred network to LTE to get the phone to work properly. I thought initially that it worked without setting the preferred network to LTE, because the tower at the place where I live has no 5G coverage whatsoever, so the connected network was LTE. The minute the phone connects to a 5G signal, the data service drops out for Google Voice, and all other apps including browsers.
Found a fix.
- I turned off WiFi.
- Go to the SIM. Set the preferred network to LTE.
- Let the phone connect to mobile data.
- Turned on Airplane Mode.
- Checked the browser to assure that there was no internet connection.
- Dismissed the tab, and shut down the browser completely.
- Turned off Airplane Mode.
- Waited until the phone reported connection to mobile data (icons at top).
- Brought up the browser (WiFi is still off), and typed in search.
Voila, the browser now functions properly on mobile data.
Summation: I don't know if the phone I have is defective, or if my carrier has a problem. I would like the phone to work properly on 5G, though, it's why I bought this model.
I'm leaving this up in the hopes that anyone having the same problem won't have to suffer as I did.