I have a Samsung Galaxy player that has been giving me the message "Charging paused. Battery temperature too high or too low". I left it unplugged and powered down all night, and it still gave me the message as soon as I turned it on. The battery should be at room temperature. I've turned it off and on several times. I've tried removing the battery and putting it back. I have no idea what's wrong. It's been working fine for the past 9 months. Can anyone help?
AFAIK the temperature sensor that measures the battery is built-in (in the battery). In your case either the battery is defective, because it get's to hot immediately when charging or the sensor is defective. Either way, I think you have to replace the battery with a new one.
Before you replace the battery you should rule out a software error by doing a factory reset to see if the problem persists.
I know this is an old post but, I just had this problem and found a good solution so thought I'd post the answer here in case someone else is looking for the same help.
Power down the phone. Take the battery out for 20+ seconds. Plug in the charger. Put the battery back in. Turn the phone back on.
I left my phone in the car on a cold night, and it said it couldn't charge because the temperature was too high or too low. All I did was let it warm up in my house for 15 minutes. Then, I plugged it in, and everything was fine.
For those who have tried multiple batteries,
I have multiple Samsung phones, I use the wall charger to avoid charging my phone. It was $15 on ebay, and it may be a viable workaround and/or solution outside of replacing the motherboard.
These wall chargers will charge your battery no matter what, you can confirm this by looking at the pins on the image below. If the third pin not present, the charger does not check battery stats before charging.
(I consider this a solution, because it takes advantage of the removable battery feature, and the chargers come in packs of three batteries so you'll never be stuck to an outlet again.)
Hope this helps.