I have a "handset" with Android 2.3.4, and the "flip" feature works for every app and screen, except the desktop. That is, if I flip my phone any screen or app will flip too, yet the desktop remains fixed. There was an exception when I was playing a game and I pressed the home button: there the desktop was flipped, but it seems it was "forced" to flip by the game. How can I make it flip like any other app or screen?
If it doesn't work out of the box, which is the case with many Android phones, then you have a few different options:
- A launcher replacement which adds this feature (may not work with all ROMs)
- A custom ROM like cyanogen mod, which has this feature built in. You can read more about custom ROMs here
- Wait for an official update which adds this feature. (may never happen)
Old question, but this answer is relevant for other Android versions.
- Install, activate and launch App Settings.
- Locate and select your default launcher app → slide to ON.
- Change Orientation to
Normal rotationif you want orientation to be synced with auto-rotation, or choose other ones based on your needs.
- Tap "save" icon next to ON to save settings.
Go back to Launcher, and as per your settings you will notice the orientation in it.
We're good to go!