I want to root my HTC Legend but I don't want to lose my data on it. I have seen the unrevoked method for rooting HTC devices but it does not have a version specifically for HTC Legend. Would the HTC Wildfire version work or do I need to look elsewhere?
With rooting there is no guarantee that you won' lose your data, but in general it is safe. For rooting the HTC Legend it looks like the following is the best method:
- Register with HTC Dev and unlock you bootloader
- Get the ACS HTC Super Tools and drivers from here
- Install the drivers
- UnRAR the Super Tools
- Ensure your phone has USB Debugging enabled
- Plug phone into computer and run SuperTool.exe
- Do options 1 and 3 (in that order) to root your phone
- Download the S-Off file from here
- Move that file to the htcsupertoolv3\root\ folder where adb and fastboot are
- Open a command prompt and navigate to the root folder where you put the S-Off image from above
Run the following commands:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-126.96.36.199-legend.img
You are now rooted with a custom recovery.
Note: I don't have an HTC Legend and this is just a synthesis of research that I have done.