Like the GUI controlling home sreen and app icons, etc.

How or what is this called that renders thia?

| improve this question | | | | |
  • Are you dealing with Android as it is found in Nexus phones or Android in a random Android phone, not especially a Nexus ? – air-dex Jun 14 '13 at 2:03
  • 1
    If you're looking for the general term, it's launcher. – onik Jun 14 '13 at 5:26

It gets the name of the Android OEM front end interface :

  • Touchwiz for Samsung
  • HTC Sense for HTC
  • MotoBlur for Motorola
  • ...

For the "basic" version of Android - i.e. the version embedded in Nexus phones and tablets - people often refer to the Android version as "stock Android". So what about "stock Android UI" or "stock UI" in this case ?

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • 4
    another term for stock Android could be vanilla Android. – TronicZomB Jun 14 '13 at 2:36
  • ...and, accordingly, Vanilla Launcher or Vanilla GUI. If I remember correctly, the current one is Trebuchet? – Izzy Jun 14 '13 at 6:22
  • @Izzy - No, Trebuchet is the launcher made by the Cyanogenmod team. As far as I can discern, the basic vanilla android launcher from Google doesn't have an actual name. – Compro01 Jun 14 '13 at 14:22
  • Oh -- OK, but that's almost AOSP #D Thanks for clarification, Compro01! – Izzy Jun 14 '13 at 18:16
  • The app that runs the vanilla launcher on a 4.2.2 Nexus device is called "Launcher" in the Apps list, its package name is com.android.launcher and it comes from an APK source of /system/app/Launcher2.apk. So given all that, I'm pretty sure that it's called "Launcher" – GAThrawn Jun 18 '13 at 14:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.