It's been a few days now since my friends contact images started to disappear on my Samsung Galaxy Sii. Whatsapp up to date. Android is 4.1.2.
I've already tried:
- Turn off/on the phone;
- Add/remove the contact from the address book of the phone (my contacts are on the gmail account);
- Clear the phone cache (under App Management). Just the cache. I don't want to loose conversations;
- Checked whatsapp space usage (under App Managent). It's like 23MBytes total. Some apps use much more;
- Some friends (few of them) are still showing the profile images. They are from the same source (Gmail Addr Book);
- If I delete/recreate those friends with profile images, their image is re-downloaded correctly. I also deleted the profile image in the "Profile Pictures" folder and whatsapp downloads it again;
My guess: Users that are changing their profile image recently are being set as "no profile photo" (in the server). This propagates to everyone else who refreshes their address book for any reason.
Can somebody check my findings?