The OTA update for Gingerbread is being pushed out. But I'm in India and there's a good chance I'll be among the last people to get it. Is there a way to get that official update right now?
A comment on the checkin procedure: you need to enter
*#*#2432546#*#* without pressing dial. (The numbes are equivalent to checkin, I just think this is clearer.)
More specifically, the general consensus seems to be that the phone polls for available updates periodically (to the OS and apps). This procedure forces it to poll, but if the OS update has not been made available to you it won't do anything.
You can install it manually, I followed these instructions.
- Download the update and rename the file update.zip
- Connect your Nexus One to your PC/Mac and copy that file to your microSD card.
- Power down your Nexus One. Then press ‘power’ and hold the trackball. 1 . You’ll see a screen appear with three Android robots and you’ll see some code. Using the volume buttons, select ‘Bootloader’ and then press ‘Power’ to select.
- On the next screen, select ‘Recovery’.
- The Nexus One will reboot. You’ll see a triangle with and Android robot and an exclamation point.
- Press the volume up button and the power button at the same time.
- Using the trackball, select “Apply sdcard: update.zip”.
I then rebooted and now I have 2.3.