To open the TAR archive on my PC, I have to rename the .tar.a to .tar, otherwise my archive manager will say "Archive type unsupported" or similar.

Why do they do that, and how to open these archives in a proper way?


It does this in order to break up large .tar files into chunks of 1000000000 bytes (or 1 GB):

-rwxrwx--- root     sdcard_r          0 2014-03-19 14:31 data.ext4.tar
-rwxrwx--- root     sdcard_r 1000000000 2014-03-19 14:33 data.ext4.tar.a
-rwxrwx--- root     sdcard_r 1000000000 2014-03-19 14:36 data.ext4.tar.b
-rwxrwx--- root     sdcard_r 1000000000 2014-03-19 14:38 data.ext4.tar.c
-rwxrwx--- root     sdcard_r  135127040 2014-03-19 14:38 data.ext4.tar.d

Even if the resulting file is under the 1000000000-byte split limit, the .a file will still be generated:

-rwxrwx--- root     sdcard_r         0 2014-03-19 14:29 system.ext4.tar
-rwxrwx--- root     sdcard_r 484504064 2014-03-19 14:30 system.ext4.tar.a

You can combine these split files back together using the following syntax:

On Windows: copy /b finelame* filename E.g. copy /b data.ext4.tar* data.ext4.tar
On Linux: cat filename* > filename E.g. cat data.ext4.tar* > data.ext4.tar

  • Thanks, good answer but why is .tar always zero? – user42276 Mar 27 '14 at 18:52
  • 2
    Not sure off the top of my head, I'd have to look into CWM code. It's probably a placeholder for the original file name. – Chahk Mar 27 '14 at 18:57
  • You sir disearve every single internet prizes and nominations. You have just saved my life (and my contacts list) for I didn't know how to put those .a .b .c and the zero-ed rar file together. For the question about the 0kb .rar, during the cmd (which I recomend runing trough the folder using SHIFT+right click > open command window here) every chunk of tar file will be copied towards the zero-ed rar file. Thanks again bud. – user60304 May 9 '14 at 2:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.