I made the unfortunate mistake of buying a Galaxy S5 through AT&T and was rewarded with a locked bootloader and no fun whatsoever for any reason ever.
As a remedy, I've considered purchasing a T-Mobile Galaxy S5 and somehow unlocking it (how does that process work again?) for use on AT&T.
- Will it be compatible with most (if not all) bands on AT&T? (ie: will I lack anything or will I be able to use the network just as well as with the AT&T S5?)
- How do I unlock a device for use on a different carrier?
According to AT&T, these are the supported bands for the AT&T S5:
- 4G-LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 17
- 4G: HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul
- 3G - UTMS: 840, 1900, 2100MHz
- GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz
According to T-Mobile, these are the supported bands for the T-Mobile S5:
- LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 17
- UMTS: Band 1 (2100), Band 2 (1900), Band 4 (1700/2100), Band 5 (850)
- "Quad Band GSM" (what bands?)
It seems to be compatible.
Will it work?