What are the differences between the Google Play Edition of the Nexus 6 and the AT&T version? Does it have any AT&T "bloatware"? Will its updates come from AT&T instead of Google? Is it locked to AT&T's network?
- It is SIM locked to AT&T
- There is an AT&T logo on the back of the phone
- The phone displays an AT&T branded boot animation/sound on startup
- It performs a check to ensure your current plan allows tethering before it will allow it to be activated
- Several AT&T ringtones have been added
- After the initial setup, if an AT&T SIM is inserted/activated, it will download and install several AT&T apps automatically. These can evidently be removed, without root.
It has been speculated that updates will still be received on-time because the AT&T extras are on a separate partition (mounted at
/oem), but this has not been confirmed, to my knowledge. With root, you can remove the ringtones/boot animation from the
/oem partition. You would need to obtain an unlock code in order to use it on a different network.