My kids each recently got tablets, but I am struggling with setting up their accounts. I have 'temporarily' set the one up to have my google account as the account holder, because I was not able to 'legitimately' create an account for my child (younger than 13, so Google refused to create the account).
Now, I use my Google account as my primary OpenID authentication for many things, including here at Stack Exchange, and, as a moderator on one site, I have discovered that the tablet inherits the authentication from there, and my kid's tablet now has moderator 'permissions'. This is obviously untenable.
My questions are:
- do people just 'lie' on the google forms for account creation in order to create new accounts for their under-age kids?
- do you create a new google account with 'my' details and let the kid's tablet borrow them? (and, if I have a separate account do I need a separate Credit Card?)
- is there a system I missed when setting things up, such that you can avoid the trickery?
- if I want to install non-free apps on the device (to remove advertising, etc.) how does one go about 'adding' a credit card to an account like that? Can you use your credit-card on multiple accounts?
- if I buy apps now with my google account, and then later change accounts for the kids, will I have to re-buy the apps?