The short version: I can't turn my Samsung Galaxy S III on, and when I plug it in, I get a rapid flashing red light, but no other response.

The long version: My Samsung Galaxy S III does not turn on. When I plug it in, the light on the top left flashes red. It does this rapidly, but it is not flickering, and stops after about a second or so. To give an indication as to how rapid it flashes, it goes about ten times in that second, and then just stops; that is, it flashes once every 100ms. Like I said, though, it is not flickering--the rate at which it flashes appears uniform.

Background information: This is following potential water damage. The device was put in a washing machine and I discovered it only after the cycle had completed. I removed the battery and the SIM card immediately and let it dry in front of a small fan for three days before attempting to plug it in. Due to concerns that the flashing red light might be the device's way of warning of a potential short-circuit, I have NOT left it plugged in for more than a few seconds at a time.

The question: What does this mean, exactly? Is this an obscure error code, and if so what does it mean? What approaches to salvaging this device apply in these circumstances, if any?

  • 1
    Since you mentioned water damage, have you tried the rice trick? (Oh, and a source I found says that the blinking red light means a low battery, while blinking red light while charging means there's a problem with the battery/charger.) – dantis Jan 7 '15 at 14:27
  • Is a (potential) short circuit truly such a bad thing on a low-voltage (5-volt) device such as a cellphone? – unforgettableidSupportsMonica Jul 16 '15 at 12:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.