For questions specifically about issues with battery charging or power supply.
Android devices usually ship with LiIo, and in some cases with LiPo batteries:
Lithium polymer (Li-Poly) Batteries
Lithium-ion polymer batteries, polymer lithium ion, or more commonly lithium polymer batteries (abbreviated Li-poly, Li-Pol, LiPo, LIP, PLI or LiP) are rechargeable (secondary cell) batteries. LiPo batteries are usually composed of several identical secondary cells in parallel to increase the discharge current capability, and are often available in series "packs" to increase the total available voltage.
Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Batteries
A lithium-ion battery (sometimes Li-ion battery or LIB) is a family of rechargeable battery types in which lithium ions move from the negative electrode to the positive electrode during discharge, and back when charging. Li-Ion batteries use an intercalated lithium compound as the electrode material, compared to the metallic lithium used in the non-rechargeable lithium battery.
Other (older) battery types, just for reference (as not relevant to Android devices):
Frequent/Hot questions and their answers
- Does constant charging harm my Android cellphone?
- What causes battery to drain faster than it can charge?
- Why is charging from computer using USB slower than using an outlet?
- Why are some USB chargers slower than others?
- Battery - do they last longer if recharged when empty?
- Does my Android phone uses battery or outlet power to operate while being charged?
- Are Android chargers universal in terms of power (Voltage, amperage)?
- Is there any harm in using another manufacturer's USB data cable for charging?
- What is the difference between USB charging and AC charging?
- What happens when I connect a 2 amp charger instead of the 0.7 amp charger provided?
- Fast Charge: Will charging a phone with a different USB cable affect the battery life?
- When should I start charging my Lithium battery?
- Is it OK to swap batteries while phone is connected to wall charger?
- Will playing a game in a Android phone while charging damage or cause harm to the battery or the phone?
- Is battery calibration important for Android phones?
- How frequently is it okay to let the battery discharge fully or as low as possible?
- Is there an efficient way to calibrate the battery than using some apps?
- Looking for a consistent answer about battery calibration
- “Charging paused. Battery temperature too high” while connected to car charger
- How do I turn on the battery full notification sound?
- My phone thinks it's charging
- How to make screen stay turned off when plugging charger?
- Nexus 7 charges very slowly, even with 2 amp chargers
- Why doesn't my phone charge?