Unfortunately, the Stock Android Email app has the IMAP folder names hard-coded in the application, they cannot be changed by the user. The app expects the folders to have the following names:
If your IMAP server uses different names, they are not properly synchronized with the Email app. There are two solutions to this:
The default settings by K9 have at least two mistakes:
use imap.gmail.com instead of mail.gmail.com.
use full emails for usernames such as forname.surname@myFirm.com, not just forname.surname.
Incoming Email settings
IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
Unbelievably this bug is still outstanding as of Android 4.0.4.
The only fix for this is to use a different email app. Most people end up switching to GMail.
Not happy. I miss my Nokia N900.
There are standards for this, as in the XLIST command for IMAP, which has recently been superseded by the Special-Use extension of the IMAP LIST command. Gmail supports these, and Fastmail, and mail clients like Thunderbird and Opera, and even Outlook 2013 apparently. The problem with the Android Mail app (at least for me) is that it doesn't understand these ...
It seems that this isn't possible at the moment. The support article for Gmail on Android states:
[You can] set default action & swipe to archive or delete messages for Gmail accounts. For non-Gmail accounts, the default is always delete, so even if you change this setting to archive, your messages will still be deleted.
I think there is no need to set those settings in the Email app. You only need to set them in e-mail clients where you are getting duplicate copies of the email, provided those clients have a way of setting those settings.
If you notice in the image below (from the desktop GMail web app), there is a Sent Mail and an [Imap]/Sent folder. The Sent Mail folder ...
The problem here turned out to be the specific email address involved (autodetect was working as well as it could given some absent DNS entries; and anyway, as I now realise, autodetect/autodiscover means something different to every email client, and autodiscover specifically is really just an Exchange thing anyway).
I got suspicious once I had tried ...
Looks like you have not read the the small print before using the
Microsoft Outlook app for Android.
Yes, what you have detected is the way the Outlook Android app works. Outlook is not an IMAP client, instead username and password are transmitted to a cloud server (named "Exchange Online") that saves these info and then logs into your mailbox, ...
Read the full article here.
Open the Gmail app.
In the top left, tap on Menu.
At the bottom tap Settings.
Under the General Settings, go to Swipe Action and change as per your preference.
Hope it helps.
I have found a solution for this problem with my Internet provider that doesn't involve hacking the app or anything so complicated. In the Android Mail app (Android 5.0 on Samsung Galaxy S5; the same app was present under Android 4), go to Settings → Manage accounts → (select the account) → MORE SETTINGS (button at bottom of screen — scroll down) → Incoming ...
As far as I can tell, no, there is not a way to configure where sent mail is placed using the IMAP email account on the Galaxy S III. There may be a 3rd party email app that can do this, but not the stock one on the S III. As suggested in the comments K-9 Mail does what you want.
Android doesn't do that (nor do iOS and others).
IMHO it's not smart to automatically try to do such a thing. It's just a coincidence that your credentials are the same for both those very different things.
Exchange credentials and VPN credentials should really be not the same to begin with (for obvious security reasons).
As with IMAP mails are stored centrally on the server, you can see all mails from all IMAP clients. You can automatically store sent mails to a "Sent" folder (instead of only send them and not storing them), which is configured on a per-client basis.
I cannot tell for your desktop clients how to do this, but with K9 you can select the folder in
Menu → ...
The Couldn't open connection to server happened to me as well on IMAP Email set-up, then I noticed that the default IMAP server was imap.mydomain.com. So I made the following changes and it started working:
IMAP Server: mail.mydomain.com
Security type: SSL/TLS (Accept all certificates) - If I didn't change to this Security type it ...
Ok, I tried restarting the IMAP server with no luck and then I decided to try a second factory reset, not that I was expecting it to work but apparently something changed because suddenly it worked and I have no idea why. Ah, the magic of user-friendliness.