- Current whatsapp is linked to a non-existent number.
- I want to create a new whatsapp account for my new existing number
- I do not want to migrate my old whatsapp account to the new number.
- If I were to move the crypto backup files of the current whatsapp, will I be able to restore it on the new account?
Note - Non existent whatsapp number is currently installed on a Moto G2, un-rooted, stock. New number is on a Nexus 5X, rooted.
Restoring or transferring a backup
WhatsApp will ask you to restore your chats and media from a backup when you verify your number. Simply tap "Restore" when prompted to do so. If WhatsApp does not detect a backup, it could be that:
- You are not logged into the same Google account. 2. You are not using the same phone number that was used to create the backup.
- Your SD card and/or chat history is corrupted.
- A backup file does not exist on the Google Drive account or locally on the phone.
The FAQ tends to imply that it might not be possible. I'm not sure if a google drive might do the needful. Has anyone had a swing with this?
Also, rooting the G2 might not be helpful as I'll need to unlock the bootloader first - which will wipe out the internal memory anyway!